Thursday, March 20, 2008

Long-Overdue Update

I'm still around! Things have been slow on the 1965 Topps front, which has obviously affected the frequency of my updates here. But I've been busy in all other aspects of my baseball card mania, at the very least. I picked up a jumbo hobby box of 2008 Topps right after its release, and was able to complete Series One. I really do love the design, as well as a couple of the more well-conceived inserts. The best of the bunch is Trading Card History, which features current players on various vintage card designs throughout history. There's an equal mix of early (1880s-1930s) tobacco and gum card designs and previous Topps designs. I was fortunate enough to pull the Hideki Okajima card patterned after the 1965 Topps set, which I couldn't resist posting here; consider him the long-lost 599th 1965 Topps card.

Speaking of 2008 Topps, I've continued to update my trade and want lists. I've gotten a lot closer to completing some pesky old sets with the help of my readers/trading partners. 1987 Topps is now my first hand-completed set, in fact! 1989 Topps may be the second; all I need is one lousy checklist. I've also added want lists for 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Topps, 2006 Topps, and the 2008 Topps inserts I'm trying to complete - Campaign '08, 50th Anniversary All Star Rookies, and Trading Card History. The big addition to my trade list is the other 2008 inserts I've pulled - Year in Review, Own the Game, and the Mickey Mantle stuff. Ideally I'd like to get 2008 inserts in return for 2008 inserts, even-up. I'm also working my way through a box of 2008 Topps Heritage. I'm going to need a lot of help completing that one, so I'll put up a want list (and a list of my Heritage doubles) by next week.

Hopefully I'll have some new posts in the near future. I know for a fact that at least one more 1965 Topps card is headed my way, and I've gotten an email from another reader indicating that a few more might soon follow. If things reach a standstill again the way they did over the past month, I was also considering buying up some singles on eBay. I know it runs counter to the original concept of this blog, but I want to keep the content coming on a more consistent basis. Besides, if nothing else, the trade/donation concept did give me a nice little headstart in compiling this great set. If you feel strongly one way or the other about this, let me know. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Whatever you decide is good for me. regardless -- Your output on the Orioles card blog is impressive in it's quantity, quality and thoughtfulness.

    Perhaps have that as the A-Team and let everyone know when something is going on over here.

    thanks and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had more '65s, I'd send 'em to ya. Alas, I only have two, and and I need 'em for my "one card for every year Topps made cards" collection. I only have 11 more years to go!

    ReplyDelete